Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A wonderful Florence Salter Book I got on vacation

I really really love the children’s linen books of the late 1930’s-early 1940’s…the illustrations were so colorful and sweet!

I found this book at a place called The Shed, in Eau Claire. It was multiple booths from different sellers….in one booth there were three of these kind of books, I grabbed all three and hoped I wasn’t going to be broke!

IMG_1705

Florence Salter was a popular children’s book author….I have three of her books now. I paid close to $20.00 a piece for the first two and was glad to do it, but when I got up to the counter and asked the man how much these three books were he told me it was in little print on the back page of the book. It was only $3.00!!!!!! All three were only $3.00 each! I couldn’t get them bought quick enough! Happy Dance… you bet!

I took these photos kind of quick but you get the idea!!!! Wonderful colors and images!

Little Red Riding Hood….

IMG_1706

IMG_1707

Cinderella

IMG_1709

IMG_1708

Chicken Little….

IMG_1710

IMG_1711

This is the House that Jack Built…..

IMG_1712

Sleeping Beauty…

IMG_1714

I will share the other two books at another time, but I am holding on to these in case I ever have grandkids! Grandma will have wonderful books to read to them! :)



20 comments:

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

such beautiful illustrations since the book were in produced in the 30's.. and what a score! for $3!.. Have a good week Sandy!
xo
fitty

Ann said...

I adore childrens books also. My granddaughters love for me to read to them. I love the vibrant colors in your books. I will have to look up that author and learn about her. Have a wonderful day.
Ann

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Gosh, what a beautiful book. Things were so much more detailed in the old days. :)
Robin

Scrap for Joy said...

I know that feeling of finding something you really love and finding out that it's at a price you can afford. You're not sure if your heart is going to beat so hard your chest will explode or your heart will stop beating all together-LOL! Good for you that you found these Sandy! You must have been swooning your way through your vacation...so mnay interesting finds!
xoxo
Joyce

Jenny said...

I love these! How cool that you found such a treasure! Happy, happy!

Linda said...

love this! delicious illustrations! i love old children's books too! especially the old "Golden Books"! Linda

Cindy said...

Good Morning Sandy! I do love the book you have..this is one that I have cherished for over 20 years now..My grandchildren love to curl up and let me read these stories to them. I have several by this artist..I adore them!!
When we were hurting for money..I sold jewlery before I would sale my books..!!

It sounds like you had a blast on your trip!

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

★Carol★ said...

The illustrations are just gorgeous! And I just loved all of those stories when I was little. I've never heard of Florence Salter before, but now I will definitely seek her books out. If I find any that you don't have, they're yours!

craftyles said...

I have a few of those cloth books too. The illustrations in yours are wonderful. You got a super buy!

my Grama's Soul said...

Pretty pics you posted today sweet SIL

Hugs,

Jo

Diane Mars said...

Hi it's me Diane stop on by for another It's a Boy Baby Shower Game #2. All winners to be announced on Saturday the day of the actual Shower. I have lot's of Games and prizes.Let's Party!
Such darling images!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love a great deal, what is it about me that always feels guilty ( for about 2 minutes) after. I paid what was asked, but I always run away quick also

fake handbags said...

Is this available online? I want to buy one.

replica bags said...

I would like to let you know what a joy it is to wake up each morning and read your delightful blog. I always feel as if you are speaking directly to me.

replica watches said...

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

replica watches said...

Nice decoration, i love these, children's images carry a tradition i fell it's wally.

imitation watches said...

Hey,
It's nice to see that somebody is try to get vast knowledge on old children's book. That is also nice thing and delicious illustrations. I also like this kind of book. And the page style is also delicious.

Thanks.

chiropractor in kent wa - 60 blogs per month said...

This is really so nice design. I will definitely seek her books out.

chiropractor in kent wa - 60 blogs per month said...

chiropractor in kent wa - 60 blogs per month When i first see this the site then i remember my childhood how charming those days, for this sense i want to say it is a very refresh creator site, i like it so much.

stevepat said...

SB-PB --WE AHVE THE "WE PLAYHOUSE" BY HER AND ART IS FANTASTIC. UNFORTUNATELY NOT GIRL GRANDKIDS SO WILL HAVE ON EBAY WITH 3 OTHER GREAT ARTIST NOV 7TH 2011. LOOK US UP UNDER SB-PB

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...