Thursday, May 27, 2010

As we get ready for Memorial Day…

I know that Memorial is a day to remember all that have passed that helped make this country great, I wanted to share with you the men in my Dad’s family that helped keep us free….

This is my great grandfather Jesso O. Burgess who fought in the Civil War for the Union. ( In this photo he is in his uniform) His letters speak of the horror and sadness he saw as this country was torn apart.

Jesse O. Burgess-1

Jesse O. Burgess main grave photo

This is his grave in Waterloo, Iowa. I have since had a GAR star put on his grave. GAR stands for Grand Army of the Republic, it was for Union Soldiers who survived the Civil War.

scan0026.3jpg

It was very important to me that he have one of these stars on his grave.

This is my Dad Charles Robert Burgess (left) and his best friend from Eau Claire, Laurnie Miles. Laurnie was married to my Mom’s first cousin Dode. They are in boot camp in Louisiana. Check out the duds! :) They are about 19-20 years old here.

scan00462

Here is my Mom Lois, my Dad( on the right) and Laurnie and Dode Miles in New Orleans…I have a photo of me and my husband Wayne at the same statue.

scan00423

These are some of the people in my family that I remember every Memorial Day….they survived the war, but came back totally different men.

I would love to see photos of some of your veterans in your families too!

Now on a lighter note…Wal-Mart has some really cute red, white and blue items for Monday and for the 4th of July…I only bought a couple of things, but they were great deals!

IMG_1783

This is a great dispenser for a cold beverage! It is on the large side and metal…and only 10.00! I had to get one! :) They also had a matching handled tray and I think a big bowl with this pattern. A couple real cute quilts in cute little quilted bags for 19.00 also….

IMG_1785

These are just a sample of the paper and plastic items they have, and they have a lot of fun red, white and blue cake and cupcake things too!

If you like them, you might want to go quickly!

Have a safe and enjoyable weekend! I am going to be busy getting some things done in my craft room….more on that later! Thanks for stopping by! :)



13 comments:

Unknown said...

Sandy, THANK YOU for sharing the veterans in your life with us. They gave their all for our freedoms!, we are deeply grateful.

I am always posting about either war histories or people, as I have this past week or so. I hope you had the time to visit these writes.

Have a safe & lovely Memorial holiday weekend.
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

my Grama's Soul said...

Hey sweet SIL....such a nice post honoring those we have loved and those we have lost.

Thank you,

Jo

Andy's Attic said...

What a great Memorial post. I was not aware of the GAR star but am so glad you got it for him.
My family was blessed with not going to war because of being too old or too young. My dad did watch for Japanese planes over San Fransico during WWII. I so treasure those who give so much that we may be free.
Annette

Hearts Turned said...

Sandy--thanks so much for sharing these wonderful photos of your great-grandfather and grandfather...this is just the type of thing I love to read about...isn't it wonderful to have the photos and the stories?! Thanks for such a beautiful reminder of a few who helped us have the freedoms we enjoy today...

Julie

Jenny said...

What a touching post Sandy! It's nice to see the focus on what the holiday is really all about.

OK, and nice to see the cool finds from Walmart!

I don't think I'm brave enough to go there this weekend so I will have to live vicariously through yours!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Sandy, thank you for introducing us to these special people in your family. It is important that we remember the sacrifices they made. Have a nice Memorial day weekend! Twyla

Unknown said...

Hey Sandy. That is a lovely post about Memorial day and your family. Now that I'm older, when I see those pictures or even the one of my own son, I think those were just little boys out there. It's a horrible job this young men take on but I am so very grateful to them for protecting me and my country.

Thanks for stopping by to see me yesterday. This little whippersnappers out there now - geez! But what a deal on my sewing cabinet. I do want to paint it but have no idea what color. I'll be sure to post when it's done.

I hope your weekend is fun and safe.

Hugs...Tracy :)

craftyles said...

Sandy,
I love your old pictures and I'm glad you have the stories of your relatives behind the pic's. Happy Memorial Day!
Leslie

Diane Mars said...

Hi Sandy,
Love the beautiful Post, have a great weekend! Hugs, Diane

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Amazing photographs here!!! I love how you made sure your Uncle Jesse got his star. He will hug you in Heaven some day. : )
The pics of your mom and dad were spectacular! So beautiful!!
And thanks for sharing your great buys from Walmart. So cute!!!
But that pillow from Etsy (below) was to die for. Lucky you!!!
Happy Memorial Day weekend,
Mary Lou

Mimi said...

HI!!!!
Oh those are Great family pics, I love those, I did have a pic of my dad in his uniform, but I have since given it back to my MOm, I think when she re-married after my Dad passed away, she wanted us kids to have all those special pics, but I gave it back to her after that marriage ended also.
So Happy Memorial Day to you!!!!
I already went to WaL-mart and got some of that great red-white and blue items!!!!May go back for more!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I wanted to tell you, that the background of your blog is a Tablecloth I have in my head as the one I want!!!!I am looking online for a vintage tablecloth, very costly, but I am hoping!!!!!
I found a couple that will work after I soak them in the bathtub with some tea!!!!!They will then look vintage!!!!haha
have a great day
hugs,
jamie

gail said...

Hi Sandy, what a great post. Thank you for sharing your familys history. I love the photographs. I hope you had a nice holiday weekend. It was great.

I wanted to share some good news with you. I got a job. I am working for Target in their corporate offices and its such an awesome job. It was just the miracle I needed. :)
Have a pretty week.. (()) gail

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...