Monday, May 3, 2010

Back at 521 Lake Street

" Home is where the Heart is, lie it East or lie it West, and my heart is with the dear ones in the old Home nest"

Well, my camera got here just fine, and I have a lot of photos to show you….to begin with I want to show you some new photos of 521 Lake Street.

We went to the courthouse and looked up the property address and found out that the land for this house was sold in 1867! We couldn't locate which person built the home, but it was shortly after that time….

The story goes that my grandpa bought this house without my Grandma even knowing…so we went on a hunt to see who and when they bought it. Grandpa bought the house from a man named Pier, who just happened to work where Grandpa did! Aha!!!! The mortgage was made out to both of my grandparents in the amount of …are you ready????? $4000.00 in 1947… I don’t have any photo of it when it was newer but here are the ones I took while I was just there….

IMG_1624

This is the street, the yellow house is it…

IMG_1625

They recently put siding on it and painted and spruced up the exterior. It was always this color.

As you can see, it is a good sized home. I am going to walk around it now, to show you the sides….

IMG_1626

This was the bay window that was in the dining room, Grandma had her plants here, I remember some pretty flowers that were purple and had fuzzy soft leaves…

IMG_1627

This is standing on the other side of the bay window. I am sure whoever was home ( a bunch of college kids) thought I was nuts!!!!

IMG_1630

I am standing where my grandma’s garden was….this is the porch we all sat on, and it is attached to the kitchen. I remember as a kid getting those little pellets at the 4th of July and lighting a match to them and they became “snakes”….right on this sidewalk you see here.

IMG_1629

Now I am on the other side of the house, the room above the kitchen with the green fence around it never was there before, that is the walk- in attic…some poor person has that for a room! HOT!!!!!!!!! and very COLD!!!!!!

IMG_1628

This is the side porch, we never used it, don’t know why…..I do have a couple of group family shots on it. If I were to buy this house, this area would become a bathroom…no downstairs bathroom….unless the landlord put on in…..

IMG_1631

This was taken where Grandpa’s garage was, they tore that down this year…..but the big purple bush???? It is a HUGE Lilac bush/tree!

I so wish I could own this home some day…..it has so many great memories for me!

In my next post I am going to show you a house that might be coming up for sale that is also a dream come true! More soon! And of course all of my goodies!!!! Have to get busy taking photos as soon as they arrive from UPS. Thanks for coming by and sharing this very special house tour with me!




14 comments:

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Sandy,
What a nice post. I had very special Grandparents, too, so I loved reading this one.
Robin

Andy's Attic said...

What a precious house. Looks like it has been well taken care of over the years. I just love older houses...glad you have such wonderful memories!!
Annette

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what precious memories to go see your grandparents home. Such a wonderful place full of love and happy times. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

It is so nice that you got to visit it and take photos (so you didn't ask permission???)--ha, the people inside must have wondered!

RoeH said...

I love that house. You should try to own it someday. Houses have souls. I'm sure of that.

Mary said...

How wonderful. I love your grandparents old home. I actually live in my Great Grandma's old home. And before it we owned my Grandma and Grandpa's (my Moms parents) old home. My daughter has lived in both.What a sweet post.

Jenny said...

Oh, I love this. How wonderful. Thanks for the sentimental journey. It was lovely.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*wow* how wonderful to see their house! loveeeeeeeeeee the photos! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Nan said...

What a wonderful home tour it was so much fun. Oh I do wish you could own this someday. Will look forward to more posts.

Mimi said...

Hi Sandy!!!
Oh what a beautiful post, I would love LOVE to go by my Grandparents old house, since I still live in the same state, it really would not be that difficult!!!!I have sooo many fun memories at my Grandparents house, really both sets, one set lived in the mid west, but we went back there every summer!!!!I loved it back there and I love my DAD'S side of the family, we never grew up close by each other but we tried to always remain close!!!!
SO many nice pretty picture and the house really is in very good shape, College kids live there now!!!!OH MY!!!!
What a wonderful walk down memory lane!!!!
Hugs,
jamie

Ann said...

Oh I just love this post. You have such wonderful memories. I can imagine what the current owners thought. Oh well!!!! I remember when our son was about 4 and we drove to the house my parents had sold, my son opened the door and started to walk in. We had a lot of explaining to do!!!!!. Anxious to see the next pictures. Ann

thereader2 said...

Sandy,
That was really a beautiful tour. I'm planning a trip to southern Ill. when we take my son to school in the fall, and am planning on doing a little geneology research in the small town where my Grandma and relatives were born. I've never been there before, so am really hoping for some finds.You've got me really excited after seeing your great house. Thanks.

Leslie said...

The above comment was by Leslie-don't know how it got mixed up.
Leslie

Scrap for Joy said...

Oh the memories that come back when you visit a childhood home. (Of course I'm sure there weren't satellite dishes when you were growing up-LOL) I haven't seen either of my grandparent's homes in many years but I'm sue if I stood on the sidewalk I would immediately be taken back in time and lots of memories would come rushing back! What fun for you! Can't wait to see more pictures!
xoxo
Joyce

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...