Wednesday, June 30, 2010

31 Years…and still ticking…..

Why is it as we get older time seems to move faster???? I used to hear that and think “what are they talking about… time only moves one way”….well, I was wrong, and it feels like every day it is picking up speed….today I am wanting it to just slow down….just for a little while.

Today is my 31st Wedding Anniversary…..it was my second wedding, Wayne’s first…and we had no idea what life would be like as any other couple just starting out….

Wayne & Sandy McClay June 30, 1979-resized22

Wayne and I were married in 1979, in September of 1980 our first son was born. And our life was perfect! We lived in a cute apartment in Carson City, NV and Wayne worked for a great company and we were on our way! In October of 1981 my mother died, in December of 1982 my Dad passed away. The despair was horrible, that first five or so years were so tough…..in 1984 our second son was born, and a terrible depression became very debilitating….this time I couldn’t dig out….and I got on meds and had therapy, a lot of therapy. Wayne never was too far from my side….even when I didn’t want him there and made sure he heard it….it was a tough start. Wayne never waivered, he was in it for the long haul…in sickness and in health.

Even thru all of the fog, I was always aware of how special he was…and 31 years later he is more special to me and my sons…..in ways I can’t even begin to tell you. We have had all of the normal ups and downs of life, raising two boys, both of us working outside the home, trying to make ends meet. I couldn’t seem to weather most of it, but Wayne did….and he kept me afloat, year after year, month after month, sometimes a day at a time. The stress and emotional ups and downs took their toll on my health and still do today. I have many more good days then bad now, thank God! I wish I could say I appreciated him always, but I can’t. He put up with a lot of crap a lot of times. You have heard of “do-overs”? I wish I could have a few when it comes to my husband. But I loved him then and I still do 31 years later, I want him to know just how very much….

Wayne, you are my best friend, my soul mate, my rock and I could never have made it without you. Thank you for sticking with me… I love you so very much!

334672

Happy Anniversary Honey!!!! Benihana’s here we come! :)




18 comments:

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! What a wonderful tribute to your dear husband. And really a tribute to you too. Here's to at least 31 more wonderful years together.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Sandy! Oh, what precious photos then and now! True love is wonderful!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

NanE said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Sandy! Your hubby sounds like a real keeper but I bet he'd say the same of you! :)

ImagiMeri said...

Happy Anniversary both of you. This is wonderful Sandy, because it's true......you do have a gem of a husband, but it takes two doesn't it? You are both very specail people, whom I'm proud to know.

Hugs,
Meri

Brenda Pruitt said...

You're one very lucky lady. I know that despair. Without someone to help you, you can plummet into that tunnel and never dig out. I commend him for sticking by you through thick and thin.
Brenda

craftyles said...

Happy Anniversary to You! It sounds like your Hubby is a great guy. I've also been married 31 years. It is a long time. I'm happy for you!
Leslie

Scrap for Joy said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! What a loving post about marriage Sandy. Too often today, people are not in it for the "long haul". When times get tough, somebody bolts. You and Wayne have weathered many storms but I'm sure there was joy mixed in as well. Congratulations and best wishes for another 31 (at least!) years!
(Our 20th is next week...I really believe that the longer you are married the more fun it is!)
xoxo
Joyce

Nan said...

Sandy We were married in Sept 1961 and our son was born Sept 1962. My dad then passed away in 1965 which was a terrible blow to me. My mom lived until 1977. Such is life. Have a very happy anniversary you two deserve it.
Nan

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Happy Anniversary Sandy to you and your hubby :) Enjoy yourselves!! Hugs ~ Laura

Cindy said...

Sandy..Happy Anniversary!! I love your picture.
Now I have a picture to the gal I talk too. Your hubby has such a happy face!!We were really lucky girl! Have fun eating!!I love that food.

Hugs..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Donna said...

Congratulations and many more happy anniversaries to you.
D

Mimi said...

HI SANDY!!!!
I could tell you were married around the same time as we were, we jsut had 34 years together!!!!My hubby wore a brown tux in June too!!!!I had a mint green wedding as my older sis had yellow!!!!
Happy Anniv.
loved the pics!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Anonymous said...

Aw, look at you 2! Congrats! Our 30th is this week end! ♥

Susan Freeman said...

Congratulations on 31 years!! My husband and I just celebrated 21 years. Like yours, my husband has stood beside me during the toughest of times and I am forever grateful. Life can be hard sometimes, but it's also when true love shines through. Treasure your time together. Like you, I have realized that it all passes by so quickly. Have a wonderful Anniversary!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Susan said...

Happy Anniversary!

Jenny said...

Awwww.... Happy Anniversary! What a lovely couple. I can see the love between you. Big hugs!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Sandy! What a beautiful bride you still are. I am smiling now to picture your face and our conversation over the phone. It was such fun! Elizabeth

Sandy said...

What a wonderful story.. life can smack you down sometimes and you and your hubby hung in there! I can relate to the pain and despair after loosing your mom and dad.. I went through the same thing after my mom died, and I'm not proud of how bad I treated those around me.. but I too am still married to the same guy, 30 years this month! He stood by me as well!
Wishing many more years to you two!
sandy (yes, I'm a sandy too)
thewondersofdoing@blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...