Monday, February 28, 2011

Things to be Desired

fence57e

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even to the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;

they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain or bitter,

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals,

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love,

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,

it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life,

keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy

written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s

 

Imagine, people in the early 20th century feeling as we do now, today!  To most of us looking back, their lives seemed so much simpler.   It seem that life really never changes, and yet it changes constantly at the same time!  I have been looking for some thoughts or words that can help me feel less stressed.  I was visiting at Deb’s blog….

http://dragonflytreasure.blogspot.com/

and she had this posted.  Thank you Deb, how very perfect it is for this day and at this time too….Have a good week everyone!  :)

By the way, Desiderata is Latin for "Things to be Desired."

7 comments:

deb said...

Hi Sandy,
I know exactly what you mean. My life is totally upsidedown now too. I had read this long time agao and it popped back into my head last night. It's weird how writings can sometimes seem like they were written for you. Glad it helped you some too. I had to head back to court today (divorce after 36 yrs) only to not have my husbands atty not show up AGAIN! Was really hoping to have something accomplished today. What a waste of time.
Any way, tomorrow is a new month and need to focus on all the good still left in life.
Wishing you a great week!
*hugs*deb

Hearts Turned said...

What a wonderful quote, Sandy--it definitely rings true today!

Hope your day is wonderful...

Julie

Something Special said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am so sorry I did not get in on your swap. I have been looking around for some new ones. I also have hosted some too. Best of luck to you with this easter swap of yours. I love this little blog of yours.

Unknown said...

Sadny,
What a beautiful remnder of what really matters. I woke up this morning and read your post...it has started my day off perfectly. Thanks!
Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

Unknown said...

Just what my day needed! Thank you for sharing. E

Tresa said...

Thank you for sharing. You have no idea how much I needed this! Wow!

I hope you are feeling less stressed today.

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

Thanks, Sandy! When times got tough my mother-in-law (who was very dear to me and who passed away a year ago in October) used to cling to the line "no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should". Sometimes it helps to just have faith that there is an order to things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...