Sunday, June 2, 2013

She is still with me……

 

Sorry I have been so lax in posting, between taking care of my pup and re-organizing every nook and cranny in my house, I have been busy and exhausted!

I want to thank all of you for the sweet emails asking about Maya….

IMG_3736

As you can see there is a small scar….the vet told me that all that is holding that knee together is scar tissue, but it seemed to be really well formed, thanks to the hard work we had done over the last two months, keeping her down and relaxed.  So basically we went through all of this for nothing but a huge vet bill!

IMG_3734

She can walk with all four legs but it is a jerky short stride and she lays down….a lot.  I still have Tramadol for her, she gets one a day, but she is off the vet-profen , just way too strong of a drug for her liver.

I have such mixed feeling about this….the vet stated he had never had a dog do this, well now he has and I still think the end of the sutures looked frayed, like they rubbed on a piece of rough bone.  He did have to drill into her bone as part of the procedure.  No proof, but this dog has gone through so much, and this is how she ended up.  When I looked on the internet about this surgery, it is common in dogs and usually very successful…..not for us.

So we enjoy each and every day we get, so far so good….she is a happy girl! And because she is happy, so am I. 

Thank you for the positive thought and prayers, I still have my Maya, so they worked!

9 comments:

ImagiMeri said...

See.......Maya and I have so much in common.........crappy knees! She's so sweet and will always be special to me. Give her a big hug for me.

Love ya'
Meri

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Just breaks my heart what she (and you and your family ) have been through, but so glad to hear she is happy now, and I'm praying for more healing and mending of that knee...by scar tissue or whatever it takes. ((Hugs)), Pam

Debby said...

We cancelled our Yorkie's knee surgery. I may have told you that before. But so far so good. She was groomed the other day and limped a little but seems fine now. The whole purpose of the surgery was because her knee cap kept slipping. The anti-inflamitory meds didn't help. When she got worse and they put her on steriods she got better. She waddles some but no more holding her leg up. It is so hard to know what to do. When our Springer had surgery for cancer....her stitches broke open. You could put your entire fist inside her. So sickening. Sometimes you just wonder. Glad that Maya is doing okay.

vivian said...

poor maya.. I hate for our animals to have any pain. but I too was wondering about her, I'm glad she ok and that you are enjoying her!
Ive been pretty lax in the blogging depart lately too.. just been busy with other stuff. this is the time of year that a lot of slow down a bit Ive noticed over the years.
have a great week Sandy! with this bear order done I can finally think about making your ornie!
xoxo

vintage grey said...

Hi Sandy,
Glad to hear that sweet Maya is doing better!! Wishing you a wonderful evening and great week ahead! xo Heather

Patti said...

I'm glad to hear that Maya is better. I'm sorry you all had to go thru this. My sweet McKenzie is getting old and we have to lift her up with a harness - but, she is happy - so I AM happy. I'm not looking forward to harder days with her.

Nan said...

Well there are always those failures and I guess this is one of them. I'm so sorry it turned out this way. I wish the vets gave you a better deal that a huge bill and a surgery that didn't work it sure doesn't seem right does it.

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm sorry that Maya's procedure didn't go as planned. I'm glad she is still around and getting lots of special love from you. Extra hugs to you both.

Jenny's Heart said...

Love you and Maya Sandy :)
just keep smiling, through it all just keep smiling.
X's & O's
Jenny

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...